8 Days/ 7 Nights
861 € per person
The package includes:
- 7 nights’ accommodation in double room
- Transfers from and to airport or train station (Florence, Rome, Perugia, Pisa)
- 4x Days of guided cycling through handpicked routes
- English speaking local cycle guide for 4 days
- Cycle welcome pack – drink bottle, energy gels, energy bars & energy drink tabs.
- Farewell dinner at a selected typical restaurant
- Bike rental (high level) for duration of stay, including repair kit, pump and lock
(Crash hat on request)
Double room, en-suite bathroom – from €861 per person
A spacious double room with two comfortable single beds, which can be made into a double-bed. It is equipped with amenities and has it’s own private bathroom.
- Room type Double room
- Bathroom En-suite
- Sleeps up to 2
- Total number of rooms 10
Single room, en-suite bathroom – from €899 per person
A lovely room with a comfortable single bed, which is fully equipped with amenities. It also has it’s own private bathroom.
- Room type Single room
- Bathroom En-suite
- Sleeps up to 1
- Total number of rooms 4
This very nice, family-run hotel is located in the lively little town of Chianciano Terme, well positioned, with easy connections to Italy’s major central cities. The HOTEL is within walking distance to all of the bars, restaurants and shops, which you can easily explore on foot. With its modern and spacious rooms complete with en-suite bathrooms and extremely comfortable beds, you’ll find it easy to unwind and relax during your free time! You can enjoy a refreshing drink on the sun-drenched terrace and dine in the restaurant, which features delicious traditional Tuscan delicacies and regional specialties. You’ll receive the traditional Tuscan welcome at this family-run hotel, where you’ll be made to feel at home. This hotel is bike friendly, managed and owned by Ettore and his family. Ettore is an experienced mountain biker who has a good knowledge of the English language.
NON PARTECIPATING GUESTSNon-participating guests – prices from €759 per person
It’s possible for a partner or friend to join this holiday even if they don’t want to participate in the activity, but they must share a room with a participating guest.
Prices for non-participating guests vary depending on when you travel and the room you stay in, check availability and prices when you proceed to the booking page.
OPTIONALBrunello Wine Tasting
You will be taken to a very good Brunello wine cellar where you’ll have the opportunity to taste the world famous wine together with cured meats and cheese. € 40 pp
Nobile Wine Tasting
Another superb wine produced in this area. You’ll be taken to a very good wine cella and you’ll be able to sample the world famous wine together with cured meats and cheese. € 25 pp
Pecorino Sheeps Cheese Tasting
You’ll be able to visit a sheeps cheese producer in the heart of the Val d’Orcia and you’ll be able to taste the different varieties of this truely wonderful cheese accompanied with cured meats, bread, salad and wine. € 16 pp
Cinta Senese – ancient breed of pig
An opportunity to visit this particular breed of pig, once almost extinct, and learn how they are bred and well cared for. Then you’ll be able to appreciate the taste and quality of the meat. € 25 pp
WHAT TO BRING
- Cycle kit (seasonal)
- Cycle shoes and pedals (unless using normal pedals supplied with bike)
- Money for lunches, beverages and visits
- Your own crash hat
- At time of booking:-
- Request for crash hat, and if possible the following measurements – taken from the centre of cranks to top of your seat, from the front of your seat (nose) to the middle of your handle bars where the bars are clamped into the stem.
TUSCANY CYCLING HOLIDAY
This week-long cycling holiday in the south-east corner of Tuscany is a unique opportunity to cycle around this stunning area of Val di Chiana and the UNESCO national heritage park of the Val d’Orcia. You’ll join an experienced cycle guide who knows this area very well and you’ll be able to cycle on quiet picturesque routes through this stunning countryside which includes rolling woodlands, vineyards, medieval hamlets and hilltop towns. Perfect Cycling conditions for enthusiasts or casual cyclists who wish to calmly ride through this beautiful region. On route, you’ll be able to stop for coffee, photo shoots or spend time just relaxing in the sun watching the everyday Italian life go on around you. Our routes are carefully selected and designed for low level of traffic and points of interest, giving you a close-up experience of this part of Tuscany in the areas of Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza and Cortona.
An example of a usual weeks itinerary
Each day along the route you’ll have a well-deserved coffee break, where you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy a cappuccino in a local typical coffee bar. You can also treat yourself to freshly made typical cakes or filled rolls (panino). The routes are designed to take into consideration the terrain and ability of the group. All of the rides will be guided by an English speaking local guide who has excellent knowledge of the area.
Every morning you will meet at a local coffee bar to discuss your cycle route before setting off. These routes are designed for you so that you’ll have the opportunity to cycle through and enjoy some of the most beautiful landscapes and local points of interest. You’ll be able to immerse yourself in the Tuscan culture and enjoy the spectacular terrain around you. At the end of each cycle ride, you’ll be free to relax and explore the town of Chianciano Terme with its spas, shops, museum, swimming pools or you can explore further afield. There is a very good bus service connecting the towns which is economical and reliable. There are many ways in which you can spend your free time. If you would like suggestions, feel free to ask your friendly hosts or guides. This is a good opportunity to really experience this part of Italy!
- Day 1: Transfer from the airport or station to check in at your friendly family-run hotel in Chianciano Terme where you’ll receive a warm welcome.
- Day 2: After breakfast, we’ll meet at a local coffee car and go over the day’s route. Today we’ll take the scenic road with views of Lago di Trasimeno in the distance, to the pretty medieval town of Cortona (also known for the novel Tuscany Under the Sun)set on the side of a large forested hill which was founded by the Etruscans over 2000 years ago. We’ll take a well deserved break at a local coffee bar where you’ll be able to treat yourself to a panino or tortina or a light lunch. Then you’ll have the opportunity to look around this beautiful town before the return ride to Chianciano Terme. In the afternoon you’re free to explore the town or surrounding area.
- Day 3: Once we’ve had our cappuccino briefing, we’ll head on to the Brunello Wine Road around the area of Montalcino where we’ll cycle through rolling vineyards and wine estates heading for Pienza and a well-deserved break at a local bar where you can treat yourself to a snack. You’ll love Pienza a classic renaissance town also well-known for the wonderful Pecorino cheese shops. The afternoon can be spent relaxing or taking advantage of the local bus service to explore interesting nearby towns and villages. We can assist with information on tickets etc. Or suggest particular things to do.
- Day 4: You have a free day today and a great opportunity to go further afield and maybe visit Rome, Florence, Perugia or Siena. There is an excellent train service available which takes you right to the centre of the cities. Of course we can help with ticket information etc.
- Day 5: Today’s splendid route will find us travelling along the Nobile wine road with Montepulciano in the distance. We’ll ride to Montepulciano which is said to be one of the highest hilltop towns in Tuscany situated on a ridge with Val d’Orcia on one side and Val di Chiana on the other providing spectacular views. Then you’ll have the opportunity to reward yourself with a snack and after, walk the steep historic narrow roads lined with specialist shops of leather and local products including cheese and wine and situated at the top of the town is Piazza Grande with its wonderful ancient buildings. In the afternoon you are free to relax, but don’t forget that your town of Chianciano Terme has a public swimming pool complex, Etruscan museum and thermal spas.
- Day 6: We’ll meet over a coffee before heading out on a ride that takes us to the hamlet of Montefollonico located on a wooded ridge looking down onto Val d’Chiana and the Vall d’Orcia and just a stone’s throw from Montepulciano. It is locally appreciated for the Vin Santo, a delicious dessert win having been enjoyed as far back as the middle ages. This hamlet was founded around the year 1000 but digs nearby testify that the area was settled during prehistoric times. The name derives from the wool-dyeing carried out by the villagers which the Romans named Fullonico, which developed over time into Monte a Fullonico then as it’s known today as Montefollonico. It is a place off the usual tourist map accessible by a road which runs up the side of the wooded ridge. A great place to stop for a light snack and a chance to stroll around to explore this extraordinary place where life continues with or without the influence of outsiders, changing only by the seasons.
- Day 7: Enjoy another free day to yourself. For those who wish to cycle today, we can supply recommended routes. Or maybe you’d like to visit another city by train again. Don’t forget we can assist with ticket information etc. This evening we’ll gather together for a farewell dinner at a selected local typical restaurant.
- Day 8: Departure day and we’ll wish you a pleasant journey home, and we’ll assist in any way we can
A short stay in Chianciano Terme lets you enjoy the exceptional cultural values, admire your surroundings, taking part in the many sporting and recreational activities, the historic thermal spas and of course indulging in the good food and local wines